Visits with my patients big and small end with a lollipop.  Most say thank you, others must be cajoled into submission.  Many a parent has admonished their two year old to tell the doctor thank you. There have been some hard nosed toddlers unable or unwilling to bring themselves to utter a word despite the loving care they received, treats offered and promise of a sticker when they depart.  Actually, it is pretty understandable for a two year old not to acknowledge a blessing with praise and thanksgiving.  A child figures, I have what I wanted, why praise?

2 Samuel 22:2-4

22 Then David spoke to the Lord the words of this song, on the day when the Lord had delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. And he said:[a]
“The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
The God of my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation,
My stronghold and my refuge;
My Savior, You save me from violence.
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies.

A young child not praising, I get that.  The rest of us not so much. Why not praise a God who is our rock, a safe place to hide.  Why not praise Him who is our fortress, impenetrable to our enemies. Why not praise our deliverer who removes the weight that anchors us down in the muck and mire.  Why not praise a God who is our shield and protection form the onslaught of arrows intended to pierce the soul.  Why not praise a God who is a stronghold and refuge during the storms that attempt to envelop us in a sea of trouble.  Don't wait to be pressured to praise God.  The answer to the question "Why Praise?" is Why Not?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast Going Live!

The Serenity Prayer

Are you dirty?