Damaged Goods



1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
Can you see it?  There on the edge, a small hint of mold.  It is damaged goods!  The revelation that this slice of bread was not fit for eating came to me after I had been using slices from this loaf for two days.  Rushing to make toast each morning, I had been reaching into the bread box grabbing a slice and throwing it into the toaster without looking.  I had not examined the bread.  I just assumed it was good.  This particular day, I was in no particular hurry and finally noticed the bread was defective.  This scenario occurred a few months ago.  I took the prerequisite photo shot and yet I have not been able to write a post about my experience.  I could not write until now.

I am damaged goods.  There I said it!  As believers, we have an intellectual understanding of our sinful state.  We know in our heads, Jesus Christ paid the cost for our sin and has made us righteous with His blood but in our day to day incredibly busy lives we lose sight of our own sinfulness.  We think we are rough around the edges but generally okay. Conviction hit me early this morning.  I have been so hurried that I have failed to notice how I slight God.  The sins I commit everyday have gone unacknowledged and not confessed.  My prayers lack David’ sense of brokenness seen in Psalm 51:4 “Against you, you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight.”  I have failed to confess to God that I am damaged goods.  We are blessed to have a God that even when we are unaware of our faults and failings, He cares enough to open our eyes to that tiny area of mold at the edge of our lives.  I threw that whole loaf of bread in the trash.  Praise God, He does not throw us away.  When we confess our sinfulness, He does not just repair us; He removes it so that what was once damaged can be used again.  The Blog is back!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast Going Live!

The Serenity Prayer

Are you dirty?