The Serenity Prayer


I had never seen this poem in its entirety until this weekend.  It was recited by memory by one of the attendees at a conference.  All this time I had assumed this poem spoke of wisdom and the peace in knowing what should concern me and what should not.  When anxiety would overshadow me, well-meaning friends would recite the first two verses to remind me about the things I could not change so stop worrying.  There is a nod to serenity and wisdom in the poem but most importantly, it’s about contentment.

Philippians 4:11-13
11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me.

Live one day at a time, one moment at a time and accept what life brings.  To do this, we must entrust all things to God.  He is in control and is able to make things right, strengthen us for the journey so that we can complete the tasks He has planned for us.  Whatever comes or does not come, hardship or plenty, we can be content in His love and care for us.  Living life in His will brings serenity in this life and overwhelming contentment in the next.



Comments

  1. Thanks for the re-assurance that God is with is!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast Going Live!

Are you dirty?