Flashers




The day started with an early morning drive, before the sun came up I was already on the roadway.  Just in front of me, a car was moving long perfectly fine with the traffic but the emergency lights were flashing.  I thought, why the emergency lights if the car is moving and the driver is not impaired.  As I continued behind the car, the flashers remained on but as soon as I passed the car to go about my business, the driver turned off the emergency lights.  I said to myself, “Now that was weird’” until I got on the highway and realized my headlights were not on.

                   Proverbs 19:20
20 Listen to advice and accept instruction,
    that you may gain wisdom in the future.

The driver with the flashing lights had been trying to relay advice to me, “Turn on your headlights.”  I was so busy try to figure out what was wrong with their car that I could not perceive that I needed counsel.  We go through life thinking we have it all together.  We spend an inordinate amount of time analyzing the people around us instead of our own issues.  This morning I missed an opportunity to receive good advice because I was too busy critiquing the driver ahead of me.  A wise person not only accepts advice but receives it with appreciation and gives sincere consideration to the counsel given.  Once I turned the headlights on, my path became brighter and clear.  That’s when it clicked.  The emergency lights were not for the car being driven, the flashing lights were for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast Going Live!

The Serenity Prayer

Are you dirty?