What A Good Man


“What a good man.  Sometimes I think that's the best thing to hope for when you're eulogized -- after all the words and recitations and resumes are read, to just say someone was a good man.” These words spoken by President Barak Obama at the funeral service for Rev. Clementa Pinckney cannot be said about just any man.  But you do know one when you see one.  He is highly thought of in his community, his children are a blessing to their peers and elders, he is a tireless worker and an asset to any organization, and he loves his family passionately and sacrifices for them willingly.  Five thousand people will brave heat, long lines and a four hour long worship service for a good man. 

Psalm 112:5

A good man deals graciously and lends;
He will guide his affairs with discretion.

I know a good man.  I could never understand why it took an act of congress for Russell to buy a car.  After months of checking the Blue Book, reading Consumer Digest and scanning the internet, he would spend hours at the car dealership until the salesman would become so exasperated he would almost give my husband the car for free.  I finally understood, a good man manages his affairs well and looks out for the best interest of his family.  I just feel sorry for the salesmen.  The first year of marriage, my husband set up a budget.  It took years to come to the conclusion that a good man has money saved so that if the need arises, he can give to someone who cannot help themselves.   I lost track of the number of young men Russell has graciously mentored over the years.  He is forever counseling someone. The revelation eventually hit me that my husband’s God given name is Grace.  He praises with abandon at the mere mention of God’s grace. A good man dispenses grace to others.  A good man is really not that hard to find, at least not at my house. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast Going Live!

The Serenity Prayer

Bee Clean Car Wash 1 on Nacogdoches in San Antonio | Free Vacs | Free Air