In Hot Water



It’s a wonderful thing when you turn on the shower first thing in the morning and the water is hot.  My mornings start relatively early.  My friends call it O’dark thirty.  I love the quiet and stillness of the day before sunrise.  What I cannot stand is a lukewarm shower.  Our water does get hot but it depends on what time of day you plan to take a shower.  If it’s after 6:30 am, you are relatively safe, the water will be hot.  You are out of luck before 6 am.  A few weeks ago, one of the water heaters bit the dust and water came pouring down into the kitchen flooding out the vent hood and cook-top ignition lighters.  After several attempts to find a reputable service to correct the problem, we finally hired a great couple of plumbers to replace the heater with a more efficient larger one.  I am a happy camper.  At last, I am able to depend on hot water any time of day.  No more lukewarm water for me.  I get the temperature of water I expect whenever I turn on the faucet.  The faucet produces hot water as designed.

Romans 12:1-2
12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

You may have thought I would have used   Revelation 3:15-16

15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.” 
We do need to choose either hot or cold in our spiritual walk.  Lukewarm Christianity is worthless both for the Christian and for the unsaved.  It helps neither.  Some have been lukewarm so long; the difference is no longer perceptible.  Instead, I used Romans 12:1-2 which speaks to the crux of the problem.  The issue is not with the water but the hot water heater which was no longer functioning properly.  It had been that way so long; I had gotten use to the temperature.  When the heater finally died, a new one was put in place. 
Have you been living a broken life?   Present yourself to God but be aware, there is no sacrifice until death occurs.  When we give our mind, body and soul to God, putting to death our plans, our wants and our desires, He transforms our minds.   We will then want what He wants, do what He does and love whom He loves.  Just like the hot water heater, you must die first and be made new before you do what is good and acceptable to God, those things you were designed to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast Going Live!

The Serenity Prayer

Are you dirty?