How Long?


Facebook
A Friend

As my birthday month comes to a close, I am amazed yet thankful that I have been blessed to celebrate 50 years of life. Twenty-five years ago my life was riddled with depression, alcoholism, suicidal ideation, anger, rejection, unforgiveness, hopelessness and fear. However, I can truly say that when I look back over the years I see God's fingerprints and grace over my life, even as I simply existed in a dark place. He protected and covered me when I was in an abusive relationship in which the one who professed to love me held a knife to my throat and even when I myself had a plan on how to take my own life and I was at my rock bottom--but God. He began to reveal Himself to me and speak to me through sermons, His Word, and even music reminding me that I was loved, forgiven, worthy and that I had purpose. As I chose to trust him through faith, He took me on a journey that has been life-changing and soul saving. A little over 10 years ago, I prayed my desire to live out the purpose He has for my life, not realizing He had been preparing me to do so all along. Though I become impatient at times I believe that every job, experience, relationship has equipped me for the vision/purpose He has chosen and revealed to me and as I continue to see the vision unfolding, from counseling, ministry, and missions, I am both excited and awe struck. God is.......

How long does it take?  How much time must pass before a change comes?  This Facebook post quite poignantly portrays the agony and struggle so commonly associated with the journey toward wholeness.  It was painful to watch this suffering servant work through the darkness that was her life.  At the time, I thought she knows the word; she’s surrounded by saints who love her dearly so why is she still depressed?  What is taking so long?
Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
It took forty years for Moses in Midian, forty years for the children of Israel in the wilderness, seventy years in Babylonian captivity and the Jews taken away to Assyria are still lost. Who am I to give one of God’s children a time table to manifest change?  God is the Master Craftsman, well aware of our frailties, wounds and hurts.  Ephesians 2:1 begins with “And you made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sin.”  All of us began, lost in darkness unable to change ourselves.  But by God’s grace, we were saved from sin and made holy.  God is continuously at work creating in us a new nature and preparing us for a new work.  How long it takes depends on Him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast Going Live!

The Serenity Prayer

Are you dirty?